In order to avoid unnecessary appliance repairs take care of your oven. As caring starts with cleaning, so let’s peep some useful cleansing precautions that could help in restoring the condition of oven.
- Usually ovens are used for baking and roasting, for cooking at such extensive level, it operates at 350 F or high temperatures.
- Technically, the inner surface of oven contains coating of catalytic mixture to minimize the high temperature. While cleaning the inside of oven, avoid scratching and scrubbing of coating film, as it get damaged easily and make functioning improper.
- Prevent walls of oven from food spilling, as food deposits turns into hard glazing surface that eventually damages the oxidizing action of chemical. In order to avoid spilling of food, it’s advised to use utensils bigger than the food. Alternatively, you could spread foil or cookie sheet at the base of bottom rack to catch the food spills. While spreading foil it should be ensured that heavy foil isn’t blocking gas vents or touching electric oven’s heating element. If you want to learn about the usage of foil in your oven, then check the user manual of your own device, and follow the mentioned instructions.
- Usually ovens have some predetermined amount of soil from cooking operations, when oven attains high temperature, a catalyst works to oxidize the soil.
- The rough porous surface of oven takes out a greasy soil, it increases the contact of surface with the hot air. Oils and fatty acids are easy oxidizing, milk and cheese take nearly 475 F temperature, the spills of sugar are sticky, so inner surroundings of oven should be protected from the boiling of item like fruit pie.
- After the occurrence of large spills, quickly remove the glazing effect to prevent the walls from food seals that blocks the oxidation of soil. Adopt following procedures of cleansing:
- Clean the food spill with sponge or paper towel, when you find soil soft few minutes after usage. Be gentle don’t rub while cleaning the clogged particles.
- Spray the cleansing solution or wipe-off cleaner on the soil area after complete cooling of oven. Scrub the porous surface with the brush with nylon net padding or bristle nylon brush, let the cleansing solution stay for 15 to 30 minutes.
- After squeezing wet sponge, rinse the surface with cold water, then blot the moisture with paper towel so it wouldn’t seep into in the burner of gas oven. Repeat the whole cleansing process until you satisfactorily clean the residues by softening the soil.
- If surface of oven has remaining of some soil, then turning on oven at 475 F for two hours, the continuous cleaning coating could oxidize the surface.
Note: Don’t spray cleaners on the surface of oven while it is heated, since it dries the solution leaving stains of chalk whose cleaning is also a tough job, so it should be ensured that oven has cool temperature and all residues are properly rinsed.
For gas and electric ovens, the cleansing precautions for each type are different. Be sure about the way of cleaning and rinsing. If not so, don’t restrain yourself for contacting appliance repair service, before making an expensive loss.